Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Took Ya Long Enough...

Well, it's been on my mind to start a personal blog for quite some time, and now I've finally gone and done it.  I've actually been pretty committed to the idea for a few months, but it's that single step to start the journey that's always so hard to take.  

I think it's just a general discomfort with starting something like this that prevented me from getting going sooner. At this point it feels like I've pretty much missed the window for saying anything original in the online world. I remember about a decade or so ago when my buddy Mike was the first person I'd ever heard say the word "blog." We even started up a little page in tribute to an old underground comedy newspaper we'd published together in high school...but it didn't really go anywhere.

Three of the reasons I didn't start blogging in the 90s
I may have posted two sentences to that page. I didn't really see anything in it at the time. For one thing the publishing capabilities were severely limited compared to what you can do today, and for another I was a college sophomore who didn't really give a fuck about much except partying, sleeping, and video games.

Of course now I look back on that moment as just another lost opportunity in my life. Blogging has gotten vastly more important and sophisticated, and I've tried to follow suit myself, but back then we were right at the start of something and had a chance to make a mark.  Now I'm just one more semi-interesting voice among millions.

So anyway when you start something like this, you feel a need (or at least, I feel the need) to proclaim it, to announce the existence of this new creation with some kind of grand statement, a declaration of purpose, a commitment to what it's going to offer to its potential audience.  That need butts heads with the stipulation I mentioned before- I don't really think I have anything original that would be worthy of such a big proclamation.

So that's why it's been hard for me to just up and get this thing started....but I'm finally doing it, whether the kickoff feels awkward or not.  Welcome to "The Writing on the Wall."


3 comments:

  1. I would love a Greasy Monkey blog! I will read yours for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost happened, Stef! Mike and I created it on the original Blogspot site in '99 but never did anything with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the wisdom of the '30's trumps the "informatio" of the '20's any day you start streaming. I think the writing, at its best, is something that just appears, of itself, on your wall. Look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete