Saturday, June 9, 2012

Euro 2012 Diary, Day 2 - Quick Picks

Well, that didn't go as planned....


So after calling out both the Greeks and Russians with my Day 1 picks, then being taught a pair of lessons, I'm feeling like maybe I have the wrong read on a few of these teams, which is never a good thing when it's time to evaluate the Group of Death.


My pre-tourney bracket has Germany and Holland advancing out of this group, and I haven't really been expecting much from Portugal.  However yesterday's experience has forced me to consider the pseudo-Spanish in a new light, especially their polarizing frontman, CR9.



I am a lifelong hater of smug looks...just never had the stomach for 'em.  And Cristiano Ronaldo is the human embodiment of a smug look.  The guy just oozes douche out his pores. 


Still, as this great preview article pointed out, Ronaldo may be coming in to the action this month with a bit of a legit chip on his shoulder.  He's been doing some amazingly sick things on Spenish soccer pitches the last two years, but all anyone wants to talk about is Messi, Messi, Messi!!


I'm now wondering if this is going to be the tournament where Ronaldo finally reclaims the mantle of "Best Player in the World" that he seemed to misplace somehow while in transit from Man United to Real Madrid. But do I really want to commit to that storyline in my predictions?  Let's deal with the Dutch first, eh?




Match 1 - Holland vs. Denmark


I think the Dutch are winning this entire tournament. But there's a chance they might not even get out of the group, the level of competition is so high.  While the term "easy" is highly relative in Group B, Holland can call themselves fortunate to have drawn their easiest test first.  I am sliiiiiiiiiightly worried about the fatigue factor with Robin van Persie, a man who became my own personal futbol hero over the last 12 months as he seemingly scored at will against any and all competition, and almost single-handedly dragged Arsenal back into the Champions League.  To be honest as an Arsenal fan, I wish RVP wasn't even playing this tournament, I just want him to rest.  He's shown a remarkable ability to stay healthy over the last year, but if you're familiar with his early career you know just how surprising that is.  I think he's going way to fast, and if he don't slow down, he's gonna cra-a-a-a-ash.  I hope I'm wrong there though.


In any case, Holland is a lot less of a one-man team than Arsenal is, and even though Denmark are not slouches, the Dutch know the task ahead of them, and they'll be ready for the first of the six consecutive do-or-die scenarios they face.  At least I think so. But then again, those sneeeeeeaky Danes....


The Pick - Draw 1-1




Match 2 - Germany vs. Portugal


Germany is just good at soccer....every time you think they've finally lost it, they come back just as strong. I personally tipped them for disappointment in 2010, figuring it was the end of their golden generation of stars, and they respond by throwing Mezut Ozil and Thomas Muller in our faces.  Germany is just good at soccer.


Portugal has some serious superstars, but they almost always disappoint in big tournaments.  Tellingly, it's been those superstars who've been the biggest let-downs, but as I mused earlier, I'm starting to get a feeling about Ronaldo.  In any case, I do have more confidence in the Iberian kid brothers than I did a week ago when I filled out my bracket, and what could be cooler for the Group of Death than seeing all four teams tied at a point apiece after 1 Matchday?  


I'm saying it happens.


The Pick - Draw 1-1




My Record So Far:


Day 1 Results:  0-2
Overall: 0-2
Perfect Scorelines - 0


Fantasy Pool - 2.5 points, 28th Place (of 29)


Today's Fantasy Lineup:



Christian Eriksen - DEN

Wesley Sneijder - NED

Cristiano Ronaldo - POR
Mezut Ozil - GER

No comments:

Post a Comment