Friday, June 8, 2012

Blogging the Euros!

There's not much in the sports world that I love more than a big international soccer tournament.  Obviously the World Cup is the gold standard, but as the American footie fanbase seems to be realizing, you can't sleep on the Euros...I mean just look at those mascots!

Euro 2012 starts today in Poland, co-hosting with Ukraine in a touching display of transnational solidarity.  We have nothing to fear when Eastern European nations get together to launch a communal enterprise, right? 

Anyway, today's kickoff is one I've been looking forward to every single day since Arsenal finally locked up their Champion's League spot for next year.  I have many interests in this year's tournament, I love the athleticism, the patriotism, and the gambling opportunities!

I'll explore those themes and more over the next three weeks as I watch the games, run a fantasy pool, and keep a (hopefully) daily journal of the thoughts these activities inspire.  I did this for the World Cup in 2010 and enjoyed the feedback I got from my friends, so hopefully this effort will be worth reading as well.

As an introductory link, check out this sweet gallery of ESPN promo posters for each country, awesome stuff, love the emotion captured in these shots.  The slogans...some good, some bad.  I'll let you be the judge.

Also, my bracket looks like this:

Quarters:

Holland Beats Czech Republic
Spain Beats Sweden
Germany Beats Poland (Insert Joke Here!)
England Beats Italy

Semis:

Holland over Spain
Germany over England

Final: 

Holland over Germany



Game On!

2 comments:

  1. Hey D, we should make a world cup plan. Brazil or Russia I'm down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I've been "planning" to go to every World Cup since Korea in 2002. If I somehow come across an extra $15,000 in the next 18 months, I'm in for Rio....I don't think I could spend a month in Russia though. I still believe with all my heart that the bribery scandals will come to light and Qatar will lose the 2022 Cup and it will come to the U.S., but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete