Saturday, June 9, 2012

Euro 2012 Diary, Day 2 - The Andrei Arshavin Exhibit

In the summer of 2010, I was working an absolutely horrendous schedule: two 9-hour overnight shifts on Thurs/Fri, then two 11-hour all day shifts on Sat/Sun.  It was a brutal grind, made much worse by the fact that management considered this schedule a privilege and loved to remind me of that fact ("you've got a built-in three day weekend!"), and also by the fact that the girl I worked those overnights with was an absolute pill.






The only thing worse than a bad boss - a bad co-worker who THINKS they're your boss
Anyway, despite all the terribleness associated with that shift, it was perfect for one thing - watching early morning World Cup matches. In general, the only time I missed action from South Africa 2010 was when I was just too sleepy to keep my eyes glued to the TV (I had also become a father just a few months before that tournament). 


Two years later and I'm working a different, much sweeter job that has given me a steady supply of Monday-Friday dayshifts over the last few months. This is an ultra-rare luxury in most TV careers, and I've enjoyed it.  However I was enjoying it just a little bit less yesterday when Euro 2012 kicked off at noon and I was stuck in an edit bay unable to really focus on the footie.


Thankfully my workplace is laid-back enough that I could keep the TV on soccer while I was editing baseball, but like I said I didn't really get to pay too much attention.  But, I do know that Lewandowski didn't stop scoring, that Szczesny couldn't stop himself from doing something stupid, and I haven't stopped watching Andrei Arshavin highlights all morning!


As an Arsenal fan, those last two points are particularly disturbing.  SZCZ is a guy who has never quite lived up to what I want him to be.  He's a solid keeper who has looked amazing at times, indeed he's single-handedly saved points for the Gunners, but I just want more from him I guess.  I anticipated this tournament as his coming out party on the international stage, instead he's in danger of watching the event pass him by. The good news is, he's only 22, and I think his best days are still ahead.


However those "best days" will not be "the next few days." With the red card keeping him out vs. Russia, I think he risks losing the #1 shirt for the rest of the tournament, depending how Tryton looks on Matchday 2. But maybe that's just crazy talk, who knows what's going on in this man's mind? I just know Tryton had to win a few fans for life when he came in to make that save, and there will be people calling for him to stay as the starter now. And maybe Wojech's confidence issues are running much deeper than the pitch, after all.


As for that little Russian chipmunk, I just feel stabbed in the back.  In my writeup of the fantasy pool implications of yesterday's action, I likened Arshavin's play at Arsenal over the last two seasons to the behavior of a lazy zoo animal, and I like the analogy more, the more I think about it.  


After he completely crushed Euro 2008, Arshavin became the apple of my eye.  He was exotic and mysterious, something to be pursued across the globe, just like a prized addition to a zoo's collection. I remember tracking the speculation of where he would end up with a nervous zeal: desperately hoping it was Arsenal, fervently praying it wasn't Chelsea.


When his services were finally procured at Emirates, I was instantly smitten. When I bought that year's FIFA video game, I used Andrei as my Career Mode player, and ran my entire offense through him whenever I played full squad mode.  I had Arshavin-itis.


And he gave me reason to believe, for a while....beyond just the four goal game vs Liverpool, he was a brief but brilliant catalyst talisman for our squad.  This match at Old Trafford was one of my favorite performances I've ever seen, of any player.  Even as his sparkle started to fade, Arshavin could always come up with a huge moment, like the "winner" vs. Barcelona in the 2011 Champions League first leg tie.


But sadly those moments stretched too few and far between, and like you might expect after such a fevered courtship and conquest, Andrei started to look a little bored. All the time. Like an animal who's tired of being looked at all the time, and done with trying to entertain you. It got to the point where you wondered what the hell had happened, he didn't look like the same player.


Well, I finally saw that player again in the highlight packages this morning....besides his two assists, little moves in midfield like this one just make you go "wow" and wonder where that fire has been the last two years.  I'm not sure if he'll do enough to inspire Arsene Wenger to change his mind and welcome him back at Arsenal after he finished last year away On Loan, but I do know that a couple more performances like this should help us sell him away permanently at a much better price.  


Stay spunky, Andrei, always. Glad you're finally back out of your cage.

1 comment:

  1. Nice commentary on the Cup! Hope you'll be getting a little more sleep soon...:)

    ReplyDelete