Friday, June 8, 2012

Euro 2012 Diary, Day 1 - Quick Picks

I'm going to see how I can do at picking the results of each game, then I'll try to follow with my extended thoughts during the evenings.  We'll see how regular I can keep this.  Also, unlike just about every "professional" picker out there that predicts the results of matches, I'm actually going to track my results, even if they're terrible!

So here we go:


Match 1 - Poland vs. Greece

The hosts have a ton going for them as they open the tournament.  Besides that whole "being the hosts" thing, Poland  has been getting major pub for their young striker Robert Lewandowski. He just finished crushing the German league all season, and looks to be heading to Man United for next year.  If he takes over this tournament the way many are predicting he will, then Sir Alex will have everyone crowing about his genius yet again. Poland also has a strong goalkeeper who's a personal favorite of mine since he wears an Arsenal shirt in his day job, Wojech Szczesny (who'll be referred to as SZCZ for the rest of our time here, thanks to arseblog for the nickname). To top it all off, Poland is in what you have to consider the weakest group of the four in this tournament, and they should have a very good chance to advance.

While the Poles are happy to be the host nation on this day, Greece is just happy to be a nation these days.  But they've been here before, winning Euro 2004 as massive longshots, during a time of domestic economic chaos.  Sound familiar?  I'm hearing a bit of "we can shock the continent again!" chatter coming from the Greek corner, but I can't say I agree with it.  This team is a mess and they're running into a young, hungry host nation bent on making a strong statement.

The Pick:  Poland 2-0

My Fantasy Player Pool Team Members: 
-Wojech SZCZ - GK, Poland
-Jose Holebas - DEF, Greece


Match 2 - Russia vs Czech Republic

Andrei Arshavin and his band of plucky Russkies captivated the world with a surprise run to the semis in Euro 2008. I was as happy as anyone when he signed with my favorite club Arsenal.  I'm not as happy about it, these days.

The Pick: Czechs 2-1


My Fantasy Player Pool Team Members: 
-Aleksandr Anyukov, DEF, Russia
-David Limbersky, Czech Republic




My Record So Far: 

0 - 0

Perfect Scorelines- 0


No comments:

Post a Comment