Sunday, June 24, 2012

Euro 2012 Diary, Quarterfinals #3 & #4 - Quick Picks

You didn't really think these guys were beating the Champs, did you?
Real life issues kept me from actually writing up my Spain/France pick before the game yesterday, but ask any of my friends, I was all over Spain.


I actually found it funny to read more than one "France is a sneaky upset pick" preview columns in the days leading up to this one. I mean, you watched the France-Sweden match, right?

You can't blame the pundits though...it's no fun to just go with the favorites in all four quarterfinals, you want to try and nail at least one upset. There's no way you were picking against Portugal or Germany, and it's not really even clear who the favorite is in today's England-Italy tilt, so your only real semi-plausible upset option was France.


But it was never going to happen. Spain has been going full-on Milton Berle so far in this tournament, and the French squad may be packed with young talent, but the switch from Domenech to Blanc doesn't seem to have been much of an upgrade.  Blanc's lineup and tactics for the Spain showdown doomed his team even further still...they never had a chance.


This is the kind of Star Power that England could really use
As for today's match, like I said it's tough to really identify a favorite. England's team is packed with star power, and they look a lot more dangerous with Rooney back on the pitch, but Italy is Italy.  So far Pirlo has been one of the most outstanding players in the tournament, and I don't think England has anyone that can stop him from pulling the strings again.  Adding to the confusion: both teams have major question marks on the backline. It's a tossup.


With arguments for either side, and with zero margin for error if I want to finish this tournament at .500 on my picks, I have to go with my gut. I'm taking England. I'm hoping a bit of Rooney magic and critical mistake by someone wearing blue will prove me right.


Saturday's Pick: Spain 2-0 over France
Today's Pick: England over Italy on Penalties


Overall: 9-13
Perfect Scorelines: 5

1 comment: