Thursday, June 14, 2012

Euro 2012 Diary, Day 7 - Group B Chaos, Group C Yearning

Speed Solvers, go!
Halfway through the Group Stage of Euro 2012, no one has been eliminated, no one has guaranteed advancement, and no one is really sure what to make of what's going on in Group B.

From Nicklas Bendtner's controversial undies, to Arjen Robben's emergence as a total headcase, to Cristiano Ronaldo's inelegant misdirections, there's a lot to confuse us fans.  Master wordsmith Ian Darke likened Group B to a Rubik's Cube this morning.

ErnÅ‘ Rubik's famously frustrating brain-twister first took off after it was introduced at a German toy fair just a few months after I was born actually (Clearly Herr Rubik was inspired by my arrival on Earth).  That history makes Mr. Darke's analogy even more apt, since the one team bringing order to the chaos in Group B is Germany.

We may not know which team is advancing in the 2nd spot from this Group until added time is up on Sunday afternoon , but I guarantee the Germans will be in slot number 1. Sure, they're not "officially" through even on 6 points, which is crazy, but make no mistake about it - they'll beat Denmark.  

"Play for a draw vs. Denmark? We'd never even consider it!"
Conspiracy theorists in Oranje-colored glasses might be worried about Germany coasting in Match 3 since a GER/DEN draw would send Holland home, but that's too cynical for me at this level of the game. Players have tremendous egos and they're playing for national pride, you'd be hard pressed to convince any of them to give less than their best for victory every time out.

Truth be told, Gomez, Ozil, Schweinsteiger and crew have pretty much been coasting already, and they've exerted minimum effort in getting to maximum points. Denmark's upset over Netherlands woke up the world on the tournament's second day, but they're not a great squad. Germany can put in a few backups, and probably will, but they'll have no problem sending the Danes home and sending a statement to the other contenders for the title.

Assuming that result, and I'm well aware that I'm a jinx, it would mean despite everything, Robin van Persie's men could still advance by beating Portugal with a 2 goal margin, incredible! This Holland squad still has the major components of the teams that outscored opponents 10-4 at Euro 2008 and 12-6 at World Cup 2010. I think they've got a miracle in them, but they'll need to find something that's been missing since they kicked off this campaign (hint, hint!).

Whether they advance or not, Holland's shown they have a ways to go to threaten the Germans at this point, which may leave Spain as the only other real threat to deny the latest Deutsch conquest in Poland (God help us), and the Spaniards get back into action today.

I've been thinking more and more about Cesc Fabregas since he scored Spain's opener in the first match. The last two times he featured on the International Stage he was there as a Gunner, my favorite player on my favorite club.

All he does is win, y'all
In those previous tournaments, I'd always been frustrated at Fab's inability to regularly start for Spain, despite his obvious immense talents.  Of course he's cursed to be stuck behind a pair of other world-class stars at his position, but I still always found it to be a weakness of the Spanish system that they couldn't find a way to get 'Cesc on the field more regularly.  I mean, when he played, all he did was kick ass, but then it was back to the bench.

Since he moved his professional career from London to Barcelona, I'd been less concerned with this ongoing issue heading in to Euro 2102.  To quote a currently-popular-but-soon-to-be-relegated-to-one-hit-wonder-status tune that I absolutely freaking hate: Cesc is now just somebody that I used to know.

Seeing him score a huge goal again, admittedly, stirred some of the old passions. And beyond the score, he really seemed to be running the show more effectively than anyone out there.  Xavi is certainly still world-class, but he's starting to show a bit of his mileage, and as the announcers commented in the game vs. Italy - Xavi seems to demand an immediate passback every time he sends the ball your way, it's limiting.  'Cesc can be just as dangerous without possession as he is with it, providing more options.

Having just sat through one of the most maddening Arsenal seasons I've ever seen in my relatively few years of being a fan, I miss Fabregas more than ever. Van Superman may've saved the Gunners' Champions League status throughout the turbulent times, and for that I'll always love RVP, but after a year of cold denials, I have to admit, I'm full-on pining for 'Cesc! Knowing he's just 25 and STILL getting better only makes it worse.

What I didn't realize til now is that this tournament gives me such a great opportunity to let my Fab Flag fly.  The reason I'd cut him out of my heart was that he left my favorite club team, but there are no club teams here, just nations. I can finally cheer for 'Cesc again without having to support Barcelona, brilliant! Let the healing begin.

There is some question about whether or not Fabregas will get the chance to lead his nation on the pitch again today.  I saw a goals.com report that had him out with a "thigh knock" and then a bunch of other reports that have him starting as a striker, and I'm leaning towards trusting the latter. Just know that if he does play, I'll be relishing every success, even when I know it's only setting me up to get hurt again at tournament's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment