Monday, June 11, 2012

Euro 2012 Fantasy Player Pool - Day 3 Roundup

Day 3 gave us a new name atop the leaderboard, some old reliables coming up strong, and the timeless tradition of hustle plays making prima donnas look ridiculous.


Yes it's good to be among the leaders now, but it's better to be scoring points that no one else is getting, and a few people got a good number of preciously unique points through goals from Fabregas and Jelavic, owned by only a pair of owners each our pool. 







Oh David...When I think about how few people picked me in the pool,  I just need to be held!



I think every one of us woulda/coulda/shoulda considered Fabregas a little stronger as our Spaniard but his history of dicey playing time issues on the national side haunted him.  If he truly is firmly established as a starter he could do some serious damage on behalf of Jared D. and Mike S., we'll see. The jury's still out on the MegaMidfield strategy, though I'm guessing the game against Ireland will provide plenty of chance for them to make it look real nice.

How badly were Shay Given owners sweating an Own Goal ruling? How pissed are Luka Modric owners that he didn't get in on the scoring? Why couldn't Dario Srna get a cheapie assist ruling on the first goal????

I was going to give a Weakest Effort of the Day award to someone in the pool but three people tied with 6.5 pts so no one wins there. I almost want to give the same title to Irish defender Stephen Ward for his clearance that became a cross to Jelavic for a goal that was just as crucial to Croatia as it was to Dan H. and Michael C.  

I actually was juuuuussst about to pick Ward as my Irish Defender figuring most people would go the Dunne or O'Shea route, but at the deadline I had ended up on some random Wolves forum and every single commenter was saying things like "Get this so-and-so off our team" and "This so-and-so is a joke of an excuse for a national side player." That his display of ineptitude didn't actually cost him any extra fantasy points could be yet another weakness of the scoring system, eh? 

In the end, of course, WEotD can only go to the one, the only, Balotelli.  Why always you, Mario?  You still don't know why? I actually love Balotelli's mohawk but I hate seeing him play like a lackadaisical piece of ridiculousness, especially when it's hurting my fantasy squad.  To fall just a few minutes short of picking up the 2 point bonus is freaking ridiculous.

Having Mario on my squad leaves ambivalent at best, and hopeless at worst, considering I've already got a huge hill to start climbing if I want to contend in this thing. But you know what really gets me about the Italian squad from a fantasy pool point of view? The traitor who took Daniele de Rossi as his Azzuri representative. DO YOU REMEMBER NOTHING???

Today brings the last of the four groups into action and the early word out of the English camp is that Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain might actually start vs. France. If I'd have thought there was any chance of that, I'd have chosen him for sure. I freaking love the Ox. Having said that, I really hope he doesn't take on anything close to an injury in this tournament that would affect next year's Arsenal season, we've packed about a decade's worth of major injuries into the last two years, seems like.

After today we'll be just over 25% of the way through this thing. I feel pretty hopeless about my own chances now, down in 28th place, but a few timely goals can change everything, and the game will change down the stretch once the Quarterfinals start. Yes, we have a new name atop the leaderboard, but right now that doesn't mean much.

No comments:

Post a Comment